The StuG III was designed to fill an infantry close support combat role, early models were fitted with a low-velocity 75 mm StuK 37 L/24 gun to destroy soft-skin targets and fortifications. After the Germans encountered the Soviet KV-1 and T-34 tanks, the StuG III was first equipped with a high-velocity 75 mm StuK 40 L/43 main gun (Spring 1942) and in Autumn 1942 with the slightly longer 75 mm StuK 40 L/48 gun. These versions were known as the Sturmgeschütz 40 Ausführung F, Ausf. F/8 and Ausf. G.
When the StuG IV entered production in late 1943 and early 1944, the “III” was added to the name to separate it from the Panzer IV-based assault guns. All previous and following models were thereafter known as Sturmgeschütz III.
Beginning with the StuG III Ausf. G, a 7.92 mm MG34 could be mounted on a shield on top of the superstructure for added anti-infantry protection from December 1942. Some of the F/8 models were retrofitted with a shield as well. Many of the later StuG III Ausf. G models were equipped with an additional coaxial 7.92 mm MG34. By the end of the war, around 11,300 StuG IIIs and StuH 42s had been built.
StuG III Ausf G (SdKfz 142/1) was produced between December 1942 and April 1945, around 8,423 were produced. The StuG III Ausf G is the final and by far the most common of the StuG series.
- Choice of Early / Mid / Late production
- Option to assemble vehicle as a StuH 42 with 105mm Howitzer
- Choice of original trapezoid-shape mantlet or the Topfblende pot mantlet (often called Saukopf “Pig’s head”) gun mantlet with or without coaxial mount
- Detachable Schürzen (side armour)
- Optional rear stowage rack
- Optional spare road wheels
- Optional periscope
Product Code: 280017
Number of Parts: 54 pieces / 3 sprues